Indoor Air Quality And Crawl Space Tips
From The Clean Air Co.
Ah, spring. Bright blue skies, blooming flowers and trees, and soaring pollen levels! Are you are one of the many seasonal allergy sufferers in this region who have retreated indoors in hopes of avoiding the constant sniffling and sneezing?
Soggy, smelly, moldy, and full of bugs, snakes, and rodents. Sounds like a great place to spend a beautiful, sunny, Saturday afternoon, doesn’t it? But if that’s the condition of your home’s crawl space, it’s exactly where somebody needs to be – and stat!
It is essential to maintaining a healthy home that you keep your crawl space dry. So yes, you should waterproof your crawl space if it is wet. It’s not difficult to know that your crawl space is wet if you see standing water.
Open vents allow hot, humid air into your crawl space, which can cause the growth of mold and mildew when it meets the cool air ducts underneath your house. Closed vents mean you aren’t letting humidity in, but you are trapping stale air.
People ask this question frequently. Actually, you can place a sump pump nearly anywhere water accumulates – and that includes in your crawl spaces. In this blog, we are going to answer some questions about have a sump pump in crawl space areas.
Humidity in Tennessee is hitting highs every day. This is the prime time of year for the growth of mold in your crawl space. Warm, moisture-laden air enters from the outside. This sets up the conditions for mold to thrive in your crawl space.
Funny odors in the house are common. Some household odors are merely objectionable, but they aren’t hazardous to your health. Cooking odors are a good example of this type of odor.
If you don’t know you have moisture in the crawl space, and you’re just wondering, the short answer is “yes.” If you can see standing water in the crawlspace, the long answer is “yes, you should be worried!” Moisture in a crawl space is never a good thing.
The air we breathe, both indoors and outdoors, can have a big impact on your health. Studies show a connection between poor outdoor air quality to lung cancer, strokes, and heart disease. (You can check the outdoor air quality in your area by going to AirNow.gov.)
Dirt crawl spaces do not have to be wet or flooded to be extremely unhealthy. A damp environment is very unhealthy and destructive, and soil has a very high humidity. Mold thrives in damp environments. The dampness in the crawl space soil moves easily into the crawl space.
It’s that time in Tennessee again – yellow pollen covering everything and rain, rain, rain. April showers bring May flowers, but it also causes moisture in your crawl space if it is vented.
Deep in the under-workings of your house is a dark hole, a twilight zone…the crawl space! What’s in your crawl space? Spiders, crickets, mold, mildew, dampness, and other creatures that you dare not think of?
- Now my crawl space is so nice I am able to store some of my nicer things down there. It has opened up much more room for me. Besides that the smells that were coming from down there are gone. Thanks for a great job Jim.MMrs. Nancy C.
- I was able to walk inside my house this past winter barefoot thanks to the job Jim and his guys did in my crawl space. I had been suffering from severe allergies and now I am not bothered by them at all and my floor is rather comfortable in the winter and summer.MMr. Tommy S.
- Never thought about actually going into my crawl space before as it is a very yucky place. But after Jim and his crew finished I really did go in there. It is now beautiful, has no odor, no insects, very low humidity and feels rather pleasant down there.MMrs. Robert B.
- The Clean Air Co. is the best mold removal and air duct cleaning company in town by far! I had a bad mold problem under my home, but Jim took care of it. He also did a fantastic job of cleaning my air ducts. Now I feel better and my house smells way better!RRhett B.
- Referred by HVAC Service We are new to the area and one of the heating and air conditioning service companies referred you to us. We are glad they told us about your company because we were so pleased with your service. We will refer you to all of our new friends and neighbors.AA. Hendrix
- Made Additional Repairs for Free Jim and Terri came out and were very professional and thorough. They did a great job cleaning our ducts. They even found one that was not connected properly and fixed it at no additional charge. I sure appreciate the quality of a job done well!JJ. Nay
- Duct Cleaning Took Care of Allergy Symptoms What a difference! My children now rarely have allergy symptoms. They sleep better, feel better and are doing better at school because of this. Thank you for your great service. Can't believe I did not think of this before!JJ. Walker
- Very Professional I HIGHLY recommend The Clean Air Co. LLC. Local husband and wife team, very professional and personal. Explained everything they were doing and why they did it that way. I could tell instantly I had cleaner air once they were finished and all the pet dander was gone. If you use them, I promise you won't be disappointed.RR. Sevier